Monday, September 5, 2016

Does Suicide Mean Eternal Damnation?



Do you go to hell if you commit suicide? 

I’ve asked that question of many people, Christians and non-believers alike.  As you can imagine, I’ve gotten different answers.  Surprisingly, I’ve been told by more than one Christian that suicide is not an automatic “go straight to hell” stamp.  Some believe that if a depressed or otherwise mentally ill person commits suicide, the person is not condemned to hell simply because of that act.  I’ve been told that, if you have accepted Jesus into your heart as your Savior and if you believe in your salvation, that is all it takes to “get into” heaven.  I’ve heard that Jesus died for ALL our sins and that, if you interpret suicide to be a sin (thou shalt not kill) then it is forgiven if you are saved.  Of course I’ve heard that you do indeed burn for eternity if you commit suicide.  It’s a violation of the commandment and it’s contrary to taking care of your “temple.”  It’s an unforgivable sin and it’s a ticket straight to hell if you take your own life.

I’ve done a bit of research on it and I haven’t come up with a definitive answer. First and foremost, I have a lot of trouble with a loving God sending one of His children to hell to suffer eternally for simply endeavoring to END suffering (assuming depression or sickness).  I've made the comment to a few people that it seems supremely unfair to be depressed (or sick) and suffering in life and to have no "out."  It seems that if you suffer through hell on earth, you ought to get some credit for that, especially in the circumstance where you've been struggling for years. In my case, I've been mired in a sticky swamp of depression for almost all of my life.  I don't know what it's like to be "normal" or "happy."  I've had seriously suicidal moments in my life.  The one time I made a half-hearted attempt, I had a sense of peace about it.  I felt as if surely God would understand that I was suffering and that all I wanted was eternal peace.  Of course, it wasn't a successful attempt and now, after time has passed, I'm not so sure of that peace.  It seems a huge gamble to take when you just don't know.  

In my reading, this answer struck me as pretty sensical:

"Q:  Is it true that if you’re a born-again Christian and you commit suicide, you won’t go to hell because God has already given you salvation?
A:  Life is lived at three levels: the spirit, the soul, and the body. Understand that when we accept Jesus, it is our spirit that is actually born again. Jesus gives us a brand-new spirit. He doesn’t give us a brand-new soul or body. We need to change our thinking by believing the Scriptures and adapting our thinking to line up with the Bible.

The Bible talks about the renewing of your mind in Romans 12. This is where depression and suicidal thoughts enter in, through the mind and the emotions. If your spirit is born again, according to John 3 and Ezekiel 36, it is your spirit that will spend eternity with God. You cannot damage your spirit by committing sin; you cannot damage your spirit by committing suicide. Because depression and suicidal thoughts come from the soul realm, if someone does commit suicide and Jesus Christ is that person’s true Savior, then I believe he or she will go to heaven. It’s also my belief that if someone is truly saved and truly born again, that person is not going to want to commit suicide. If you are born again and you still have suicidal thoughts, then you need to go to the Bible and hope that God can change you. That’s the most important thing of all."
(http://changinglives.org/tabid/2623/Default.aspx?cat=Suicide

Here are a few other links with (mostly) contrary opinions. I'd be interested in hearing feedback from others, whichever you believe.  But no chastising, please.  No bullying or browbeating.  Just opinions, please. 

1 comment:

  1. Having worked in Hospice for many years I have seen people accept Jesus within minutes of their death. I know some folks are angered by this. Because even if that person lived a tormented unbelieving life if asked for their sins to be forgiven they will be and will be given the grace to enter heaven. I believe even with suicide we can not know what happens between that individual and God during the transition. I was taught that God is a loving God. Ask and you shall receive. If is not our place to judge others in the name of Christianity.

    ReplyDelete